Monday, April 6, 2009

Terra Cotta Pot and Turquoise Vases



Terra cotta pot and turquoise vases
16 x 12 pastel on board
It's been a busy time with not enough time for painting. During the week that I began this blog I also bought a piano, which arrived last Friday. So I've had a pleasant diversion from painting. I finally got to do a still life on Sunday that I'm sharing. I wanted to contrast the opaqueness of the terra cotta and turquoise pots with the clear glass vase. When I put a spot light on it I got a beautiful stream of light from the vase. I used the counter top to produce bands of mid tone and darker color. I used a black backdrop, but quickly went away from black into other colors. I like the pureness of black, but find it to be a real challenge.
I took this photo in bright sunlight and it shows every little bump of the pastel and the texture of the board.

No comments:

Post a Comment