Thursday, March 26, 2009

Morandi



Bath Bottles

10 x 8 pastel on La Carte paper




Yesterday my husband and I went to the Phillips Gallery to see the show of still lifes by Giorgio Morandi (1890-1964). These paintings are REALLY still. For years, he painted the same bottles over and over, getting more and more simplified in his use of shapes and values. I have to admit that we both preferred his earlier work where there were more values differences and use of color.

Interestingly, my mentor had compared my painting "Antietam Barns" with Morandi's still life. So I was particularly interested in the show. Several years ago I did this still life, which I'm calling "Bath Bottles" as these are some of the many bottles that line my tub that I look at every day. I find that this painting reminds me more of Morandi.

Morandi was a very quiet, reclusive man who rarely went anywhere. This quietness is so evident in his paintings. (I was interested to note that Janet Napolitano also visited the exhibit yesterday, according to the Post. I guess she needs some of this quiet.) Today I looked at the still life paintings of oil painter Nancy Switzer . Her paintings of butter bars really reminded me of Morandi, but with more life and verve. I love her rich application of paint. Her work also reminds me of Wayne Thiebaud's wonderful cakes, where he has virtually frosted them with paint.

What all of this says to me is how personal still life can be and how much it reflects us as individuals. Will this be true of me? I don't know, but it will be fun to explore.

No comments:

Post a Comment