Saturday, April 18, 2009


The Gardener 16 x 12 pastel on board
I'm posting this image of my stepfather, Everett Eldridge. I painted the picture yesterday and learned in the evening that he died during the day. We were expecting him to go, but it was meaningful to me to be painting him for the first time on the day that he died. The picture is of him in his beloved garden, after getting out of the hospital and nursing home in 2006. Before retiring, he was a boat builder. He was a life-time resident of Mattapoisett--a true Yankee! He and my mother were married in 1975 after both had lost their spouses several years prior. It was a wonderful marriage and we will all miss him.

2 comments:

  1. I'm very sorry for your loss. Your painting is a wonderful tribute to your step-father. Seeing your painting and reading your story of him doing what he loved gives me hope that we all follow the passions that give our lives meaning.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much Daniel. We all need to follow our passions, whatever they are. And thanks for being the first commenter on my blog! It's good to know that this really works.

    ReplyDelete