Saturday, May 26, 2012




Clarksburg Farm, 16 x 20, Wallis Belgian mist

This is the farm I was looking for when I discovered the old house in the last post. On the top is the finished painting; on the bottom the underpainting done all in hard pastel and sprayed.  I got up early and spent the day in the studio painting and enjoying every moment! 

Years ago I painted this farm in a 9 x 24 format and I made the farm buildings yellow to give them some color. This time, I wanted to retain their off-white color, using soft blues and blue violets.

I like the 16 x 20 format as it gives me enough room for sky, fields and buildings. One of the things I love about farms is the grouping of various sizes of buildings and how well the seem to work together. This farm has always been one of my favorites. 

1 comment:

  1. Wow, I thought you just used the top painting as your basis, that was the finished painting! I really like the colors and the effort you lay onto this one.

    web design ventura

    ReplyDelete